We test and scale creative projects with high impact potential.
10 Hackathons // 100+ Prototypes // 1000+ Participants
How We Work
We develop program models which
are often the first of their kind.
We design our programs from the ground up to bring diverse people together and focus them on specific challenges.
- The first mayoral debate where citizens presented their own solutions to candidates
- The first hackathon supported by months of community research
- The first street festival dedicated to tech-driven urban interventions
We use collaborative prototyping to find creative solutions, faster.
Every year, our Research generates a huge number of new prototypes – or “Hacks” – that explore how technology can shape society.
- A projection mapping project that revitalizes dark alleys by illuminating and animating street art
- A web platform for connecting underused spaces with pop-up businesses and activities
- An interactive visualizer that allows for real-time coding of audio-responsive generative art
We support projects as they grow to achieve their full potential.
Gray Area Projects take advantage of the latest tools in art and technology to create positive social impact in creative new ways.
- A living, growing ecosystem of musical lifeforms that anyone can explore, see and hear
- A global platform for sharing and highlighting commonalities across cultures and geographies
- A pilot project for the SFMTA utilizing real-time data to improve system management